Monday 18 June 2012

Going Native

I have finally succumbed, I'm going native. I've bought myself a pair of thongs. I haven't owned thongs since 1985. These aren't even good thongs. It's not like they'll be my "going out thongs" or anything like that. I haven't shaved for three days and not only that but I picked up a hitch hiker today (we both survived the ordeal). Pretty soon I will be wearing a blue shearers singlet and think that ugg boots can be worn in public. My standards are dropping and I just don't give s rats. 



I headed out of Exmouth at 8.15am, somewhat later than I imagined but breakfast took forever to be cooked and nothing gets rushed here on the Coral Coast. Before I had even made it out of town I saw a guy looking for a lift to Tom Price (it's part of the Karijini National Park), somewhere I'd have liked to visit but apparently they want me back at work on the appointed date. Anyway I got Gabriel the German backpacker 300 kilometres closer to his destination.


He was an interesting guy, he has a degree in computer engineering and is travelling around the country for the next year or so. It was nice to have someone to talk to who didn't want to serve me dinner, make my reservation or swap tourist experiences. 

Today's drive was a mere 912 kilometres (not including the detour into Dampier / Karratha) and it took me over the Hamersley Ranges. The countryside was stunning along the way and not a cloud was sighted until Port Hedland. Of course I had to visit the statue of Red Dog (there is little else to do in Dampier) and I also had to check out the holes that we are digging in the country in the name of progress.


You can relax the holes are huge but there seems to be lots of places as yet un dug, but have faith I'm sure they will dig them all. The coastline was beautiful and if it wasn't for the heavy industry it would be a nice place to visit.

Port of Dampier

My original plan was to stay the night in Port Hedland but the only place I could find to stay was $349.00 a night for a 3 star motel. I mean I only paid an extra $8.00 and I got three nights at the Perth Hilton. There was no way I was going to pay that for a stop over destination (oh well that's the mining boom for you). So I pushed on a further 160 kilometres to Pardoo Roadhouse and will be bedding down there for the night for considerably less than the Port Hedland price. 

Suffice it to say I didn't even visit Port Hedland (I just skirted round the outside). All I could see where heaps of cranes and lots of road work. I'd called the visitor info centre there about my accommodation dilemma and they couldn't have cared less. Therefore I can't tell you about the town because I made a point of not spending one red cent of my hard earned cash there, quite frankly they don't deserve it.

Fish Rock - Just Out of Port Hedland

The road kill in this part of the world impressive in the most disturbing of ways. Its no longer just wallabies, kangaroos and similar wildlife its full on Brahman cattle hit by road trains. I witnessed the recent aftermath of this just 30 k's short of my destination and it was grissly and sad all at the same time. Many of the roads are unfenced with stock and wildlife wandering across your path with total disregards for the possible outcome. Not only that but I am now in that part of the world where a road train can be up to 55 metres in length. Somebody far smarter than me can do the maths but if a 55 metre road train is doing 100 kph and you are doing 120 kph it takes an eternity to pass one. 

Well its off to Broome tomorrow. It was 31 degrees here today in the Western Australian north west. I trust you were having a sunny and fun filled day where ever you are.

2 comments:

  1. You paid $12 for that poor excuse for a thongs! I'm dissapointed in your fall from grace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please don't buy a blue singlet. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete