Monday 1 April 2019

Hong Kong

Hong Kong is a crazy town, about 7.4 million people squeezed into about 1,000 square kilometres. I think I ran into all of them, literally. When you are my size, and space is a premium everything is small. Chairs I can’t sit at, tables I can’t put my legs under, even the MTR has a low ceiling and I can rest my head on the upper grab rail. 

We emerged from our hotel on Sunday morning after another long sleep to find ourselves in what seemed like Malaysia. 1,000’s of women’s all wearing head scarves had camped in the area and I thought we were back in a Muslim country. Not so it seems. The local labour laws prevent your live in help from leaving the house so if you are a servant your one day off in Sunday and you meet up with your friends and share food, dance, sing, swap gossip and whatever else may take your fancy with your little down time. It’s hard to believe but it makes Hong Kong even busier.

Lantau Island and the famed cable cars were calling so we fought our way through the throngs to get to the MTR and set off on our adventure. Oui had quite a scare as she missed the train and all I could do was hold up three fingers as she disappeared from view hoping she would understand I meant get the next train and go three stops. Three minutes later it was crisis averted and we were reunited. It have us both a bit of a scare.

Like everything in Hong Kong you line up for hours and the cable cars were no different. You line up to buy your ticket then you line up to ride it. The entire thing is 5.7 kilometres long and takes about 25 minutes. You are rewarded with the most stunning vistas.





They have recreated a traditional Chinese village at the top full of ordinary restaurants and over priced souvenirs, however there is one thing of note a giant Buddha that sits atop a hill and is 34 meters high, it’s made of bronze and weighs 240 tonnes. After you have walked up the 268 steps to his feet you are treated to a magnificent outlook.






After joining the line for the downward cable car we ascended through the clouds which is a little spooky yet quite peaceful then headed for the Temple Street Markets and the Ladies Night Markets where we totally failed to get a shirt in my size.

Tomorrow we take to the Harbour to see what we can see.


















No comments:

Post a Comment