Friday 6 July 2012

King's Canyon

How do you top Ayers Rock? It's a mighty hard ask and so the remaining activities left on the this odyssey will unfortunately for them be measured against this most amazing of experiences. I think it would need to be maybe the Grand Canyon or something as awesome to stand a ghost of a chance of getting close to the Ayers Rock experience. 

Therefore it was with not much hope that I drove the 304 kilometres from Ayers Rock, past Fooluru and on to King's Canyon. Look it is a really impressive sight but it just can't compete which is a real shame as it's well worth a look. I arrived slightly hungover as the night at the hotel bar hadn't finished until just after midnight and as seems often to be the case I consumed a little more than I intended. Well a leisurely (yeah right) 6 kilometres stroll up and down the sides and across the top of King's Canyon soon sweated the remnants of any alcohol out of me. It was a sight to behold.


Yes I did walk up the left side, across the top, then down the right side. I went back to check out the sun setting on the cliff tops, pretty impressive don't you think?


I did the walk by myself and caught up with David and Keely for a glass of red (hey I needed one more) at the sunset viewing before we headed back to the resort for dinner.




Now calling it a resort is a bit of stretch, mind you I got one hell of a room upgrade. I just booked the entry level room and ended up with a spa suite so I wasn't complaining.







Sadly I had no one suitable to share this with so it largely went unused. The reason I mention the dubious nature of the resort title is not by way of complaining but when you turn up somewhere and they have run out of bread, chips, wedges and a whole host of other things that I can't remember right now you know it's not a resort. Alice Springs is 300 k's away so it's not like you can go up the street and get some more however having to wait until the next truck arrives (there is one a week) to replenish supplies takes away from the resort part of the deal. None of it bothered me as everything I wanted they had (plenty of red wine for instance). 


The nights entertainment was when it started to get interesting again. I didn't feature on a piano this time but I did manage to join an all girl singing group called the "Lice Girls". Let me explain. Little Keely was pulled up on stage to get all the kid's involved and let the mums and dads enjoy their meal. The catch however was once the kid's were finished they got all the dads up (queue David). Then when all the dads were done all the mums got up. Well I assume they must have thought that David and I were two gay dads so I got dragged up to act as Kelly's surrogate stage mother.




Yes that's me with rollers in my hair. Oh how the mighty have fallen. From playing the star at the Ayers Rock Resort to playing the fool at King's Canyon. What can I say but any chance of my ego getting too inflated was quickly dealt with, but a good time was had by all. We called it an early night and I retired alone to my spa suite with my glittering show business career withering on the vine before my very eyes. 


David, Keely and I caught up for quick breakfast early the next morning. They were heading for Alice Springs and I was heading for Coober Pedy. I bade them farewell and wished them a safe journey. I somehow know we will stay in touch, they made a great part of my trip truly exceptional.



No comments:

Post a Comment