Thursday 3 May 2012

In Canberra - Part 2

After a sensational breakfast at Urban Pantry in Manuka (including two double shot espressos) I dropped Claire at her school and set off exploring the town. I used to come to Canberra a bit so I felt reasonably familiar with its many attractions. I headed for the ones that had substantially changed or I had never visited before.





First port of call was the National Portrait Gallery, which has a collection of notables preserved for posterity in painted, photographic and sculpted form. It was interesting to see not only famous people commemorated on the walls but also see how famous artists, not necessarily known for their portrait work, approached the form. In particular there were three paintings by Tom Roberts, the famous Australian artist from the Heidelberg school, on cedar panelling of all things. There was also two quite stunning portraits of Tom Uren and Michael Kirby by an artist unknown to me, Ralph Neidman - I think?). All in all it was a pleasant diversion.

Next it was off to the Museum of Democracy in the Old Parliament House.


Old Parliament House
Now this building was in use from 1927 to 1988 and housed the House of Representatives and the Senate along with their elected officials, the press gallery and about 2,500 other staff before its relocation. There is a lot of recent history in these walls. While I'm sure it had much that was worthwhile and interesting it was the opportunity to get into the previously forbidden inner sanctum that I found most stimulating. 

There was the prime ministers office suite (quite modest by today's standards). Then there was a humble bank bencher's office. It was humble indeed, housed in a room not larger than some peoples laundries was said back bencher along with two staff. I am sure our current crop of elected boffins would benefit from a taste of this austerity. Then there was the pomp and ceremony of the Speaker's and the President's chambers. It was gripping to walk around the old press gallery offices and see where our first draft of history was recorded. They also had one of the few surviving copies of the Magna Carta almost nonchalantly displayed under dimly lit glass  . To top it all off the coffee was excellent at the Kitchen Cabinet Cafe (still struggling with a hangover, I mightily approved).

Final port of call for the day was the treasures museum at the National Library. Home to some interesting pieces such as Captain Cooks''s writing desk, some original Jane Austen letters and a small  oil on canvas draft by Tom Roberts of his masterful opening of the first parliament painting. Sadly for me the room was full of noisy school kids and my hangover was poked and prodded to distraction. I was outnumbered 30 to 1 so beat a hasty retreat. Its great that the kids come to view the treasurers but they should just do it when I'm nowhere to be found. 

So it was back to Bern's for a great Turkish takeaway (its so nice not to be eating Muswellbrook food) and just the three bottles of wine (including this most excellent yet bizarre Seppelt fortified). Dave and I poured (a questionable choice of words it seems) over some maps, and plotted my next ports of call. Cooma via Tumut across the Snowy Mountains I think. I'll let you know how that goes.


I must also say a massive thanks to both Bern and Dave for letting this unknown interloper use their beautiful home as a crash pad. I hope one day there will be way I may be able to return the favour.

No comments:

Post a Comment