Friday 25 May 2012

Kangaroo Island to Adelaide

The people on Kangaroo Island are really starting to grow on me, they speak with a frankness that is quite refreshing. They call a spade a front end loader. There is no doubt what they mean and where you stand. We all agreed that the recent weather had been crap and yes it would have been nice for me to have seen it all but I either had to stick around and hope it got better or suck it up princess and stop whining. Off course I found a third way. 



I had wanted to do two more things before I left. One was see remarkable rocks the other was to do Admiral's Arch. Well the weather cleared for the two hours it took to do both those things and I got my 5.30pm ferry off the island so I could drive on in to Adelaide



In line with their honesty and candour the islanders had named their interesting rock formation "Remarkable Rocks". This name is spot on. If the marketing people had got to involved they would have been "Stupendous Rocks" or "Oh My God They're Amazing Rocks" but these rocks are what their name suggests - remarkable.





The Southern Ocean was putting on a majestic display of its awesome power and the wind was impressive to say the least. The rocks, which are on the end of a granite bluff are just made up of these whimsical shapes left behind after nature's corrosive power had done its worst, remarkable really.

Next stop was Admirals Arch which was a still intact natural rock arch. The reason for my visit was to see the New Zealand Fur Seals that had made it their home. 




You can see the little dots of seals on the bottom photo. The whole area was covered with them but there wasn't a lot of action because the weather and ocean was so bad.

From there it was to the opposite end of the island to catch the ferry back to the mainland. While I was waiting to load the car on to the ferry I watched them unload the incoming ferry. Someone was literally moving house. You can see how important the sea lanes are to the locals.






They literally rolled this house off the ferry so that we could get on.  t only takes 45 minutes to get to the mainland and it could probably do it in half the time but as the ferry has many cars on it and a fast crossing would mean a higher chance of cargo movement (read cars sliding about on the deck) so it just chugs along. If you get sea sick I suggest you go by plane should you ever decide to visit. 

From there it was on to Adelaide. By the time I set off it was quite literally a dark and stormy night and it remained that way until  I arrived 2 hours later. I would like to tell you about the towns I went through but all I saw was street lights so nothing to see here. Plans for tomorrow are to just wander around the city and maybe go and check out the Pandas at the Zoo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment