Friday 11 May 2012

Cradle Mountain to Strahan

I awoke this morning to the ferocious sound of wild animals mating. I rushed to the window and flung open the curtains and startled two Tasmanian Pademelons (a variety of wallaby) but the noise didn't stop. It turned out the animals were in the next room. I had a big day planned so I showered and headed to the lodge for the buffet breakfast (carefully scrutinising every couple there to see if I could identify the culprits). I soon bored with that game and jumped in the car and headed for the little coastal hamlet of Stanley. In particular a place called "The Nut" for reasons that will soon become self evident.



Stanley is to the North West of Tasmania and 150 kilometres out of my way. "The Nut" however just looked too weird to miss. I arrived at about 11.00am to find the chairlift to the top shut because of high winds. The only other way to get there was to walk up a quite a short path (430 metres) that just happens to rise 200 metres in that short space. Suffice it to say it was steep. 

Aerial View of The Nut

The Nut

The Chairlift (or so I'm told)
You can see why they call it "The Nut", its a pretty unique bit of rock. Sadly the temperature today hardly bothered the scorer, with the maximum reaching 11.5 degrees. It was about 7 degrees when this nut decided he would walk up and around it. I forget to mention, just over half way round it started to rain. What made me do it? Who knows. There was another foolish soul on "The  Nut" with me this morning. She would not have been twenty and was attired in nothing more than a pair of shorts, a t shirt and some calf length dress boots. I've got to say there is no better way to feel good about yourself than watching some other dill doing the same thing as you are but in an even dumber manner. I smugly put on my spray jacket and continued my walk. What a prick. 

If You Look Carefully You Can See The Vectra in the Car Park

View From The Top

That's Bass Strait

I had a sensational lunch, a smoked chicken and baked pumpkin salad, then started the trek to Strahan (pronounced Strawn to rhyme with prawn) which was three hours away. It poured with rain the entire way. The plan is too take a Gordon River cruise tomorrow but if the weather stays like this I will push on to Hobart and write the day off. I'm off now to some over priced buffet because its the only place I can get too without getting completely drenched. 

No comments:

Post a Comment