Sunday 17 March 2019

Malacca

I think that someone should come up with itinerary where you visit all the towns, cities and villages that have questionable names. I mean I could visit the town of Intercourse, no doubt for a great conversation, Hooker when I need to improve my batting. Climax when I need a good ending for the book I am reading. But right now I need to swear a bit and I can really say with a good deal of passion.....Malacca!!!!

We grabbed the bus from downtown Singapore to cross over into Malaysia. It was torturous. Almost six hours to go 240 kilometres. The schedule was 3 - 4 hours but sadly the traffic was horrendous. It was 3 kilometres of bumper to bumper traffic just to get processed through Malaysian customs. I’m not really sure why they bothered, once we’d arrived at the counter my passport was stamped, my bags were perfunctorily put through a scanner then I was sent on my way. We fought our way back to the bus then got dropped in front of this very impressive hotel before walking a few hundred meters to our less salubrious but still very nice digs for the next three nights, Courtyard @ Hereen




Oui was a bit worse for wear after the bus trip so a short nap was in order. The street food was calling however so we hit the pavement and started exploring Malacca. We keep trying different street food but have yet to find anything astounding. We tried an Indian/Pakistani restaurant. The tandoor ovens were right out on the street and at least 100 people were eating there. I quite enjoyed mine but Oui was still searching for her street food Nirvana and described it in her inimitable style as “so so”.



After satiating ourselves we pushed on to the Jonkers Street night markets which happen every Friday, Saturday and Sunday 6.00pm till midnight. The stalls were endless and the crowds were pushy like a gaggle of bingo ladies at a free buffet. We were on our way back to the hotel when Oui suggested a drink so we braved the throng near our digs and I heard this band playing a reasonably obscure Deep Purple song from 1974 called “Soldier of Fortune”. I had to check it out. Well after a beer, a bottle of white and a bottle of red it was time to get up and do a couple of numbers with the band. I can now say my international performance itinerary includes both Singapore and Malacca. I may need a t-shirt!



I will tell you about the hangover when I next post.














No comments:

Post a Comment