Friday 15 March 2019

Singapore Sloth

We slowed it down a bit today. After a huge sleep and an enjoyable breakfast we jumped on the ever trusty MRT and headed off to the Sultan Mosque. Originally constructed in 1824 the current building dates from 1924 and is quite impressive. Someone told me that the gold domed minarets are made from local bottle glass. supplied by members of the mosque, that way even the poorest members could contribute to its construction.



From there we headed to the Bugis Street Markets, where once again I failed in my mission to find quality Singaporean coffee. Also trying to find a Singapore t-shirt in size small tent is proving somewhat difficult, it seems they have not previously had to consider someone of my proportions. 

In rather dull news the new Reebok’s I purchased fell apart after three days of wear. Finding the supplier of size 14 shoes in this town has not been easy but I am now the proud owner of a a pair of Asics sports shoes. I have donated my old ones to the local surf club to be broken down and used as canoes.

For a bit of fun we tried a different part of town for the street food, without much luck sadly. It’s not like we’re starving or anything and we haven’t given up trying. Also we did something touristy and impulsive, we grabbed some tickets for a drive/boat through the bay on an old WWII army duck. It was a pleasant if somewhat expensive way to take a load off your feet and enjoy a nice sea breeze. 

Back to Chinatown for another shot at some street food. Oui has been researching tirelessly and is routinely disappointed, she is such an excellent cook herself I think her standards may be impossibly high. I quite enjoyed it but Oui was underwhelmed, oh well there is always tomorrow.

Sadly today ended with was a bit of a disappointment, Raffles the famous Singapore Hotel is closed for renovation and I also found out that the Changi prisoner of war museum is also closed for refurbishment. Two things I have really wanted to do are no longer on the itinerary. We may have to come back.


Thats it for now. Tomorrow we will take it easier and get ready to head to Malacca.











No comments:

Post a Comment