Tuesday 22 September 2015

Fort Myers

I headed out of Cedar Key after a liesurely breakfast. There is an amazing looking bridge that I made a detour to cross just because it was so spectacular. Before that though I stopped for lunch at St Petersburg and then crossed this amazing structure on the way to Fort Myers. 



Now the photos are not my own because while I am getting better at driving on the wrong side of the road doing 125 kilometres an hour I still can't use the camera while I'm doing it. Oh and there's a $1.25 toll to cross and they have old school toll collectors who give change and the whole bit, very quaint.

I wasn't expecting a lot of the Fort Myers. It was basically a stop over before I got to Key Largo and Key West but I think I have struck gold. This place is classic Florida, it seems to be where the locals from the surrounding cities come for their vacations. The GPS got totally confused getting me here though and I had to pull out the tablet and and use it instead of the one in the Chevy. It sent me to a RV park 40 minutes out of town. It was a little annoying. 


The place I am staying is an absolute classic. Its up wooden steps and in a multi coloured building just to find my room, the Martha's Vineyard Suite (and I use the term suite quite losely in this case). It is walking distance to the beach on one side and the port on the other. The temperature is in the high 30's and it is absolutely packed. Apparently the tourist season starts about now and goes through to March. 




Anyway if I were looking for somewhere to chill that was a bit hip for a week this place would do quite nicely. So its on the Key Largo tomorrow. Its like everywhere I go has a song sung about it or a movie made in it, totally surreal. We'll see what it brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment