Friday 11 September 2015

Nawlins (As The Locals Say It) - New Orleans

Man the weather here is crazy. The heat and humidity was huge today. There was two massive downpours. I can see why they got freaked out over Hurricane Katrina (before it hit I mean). The first heavy downpour lasted about 30 minutes and drain covers were already lifting up in the streets, shops and bars were flooded, storm water pipes were overflowing. As soon as it was over the shopkeepers were out squeegeing out their businesses or trying to direct outside water into drains that were either not in the right position, did not have enough capacity or were just poorly maintained. It is clear the infrastructure couldn't handle it. When you look out the window and see the mighty Mississippi and realise that New Orleans in less than two metres above the water line it is not hard to realise that even in this modern age that water is very much a force of nature that must be reckoned with.




You can see from the photo above the water come into a building on the waterfront and that the rickshaw (I'm sure they call them something else) has its back wheels covered.



I did the whole wander around the French Quarter thing today. The architecture is amazing and quite eclectic. I don't have many shots to show you as the weather was atrocious and I couldn't get the camera out except a couple of times. 


Reading the paper over breakfast one of the issues facing the town is how to deal with their slave history. There is a vocal group of people wanting to remove statues and rename places and other things out of respect to those who were enslaved. It has even gone so far as to see people talking about removing the fleur de lis. This is an old symbol of French royalty but also has some slaving connections. It is rampant from the local football team's helmets to public buildings and even on the windows of my hotel room. There is no right answer to the question. I'm sure glad I'm not the mayor of this town who'll have to try and sort it out. 



If it stays this way I will try a few indoor activites tomorrow bur regardless of the weather I am going to hit Frenchman Street tonight, less popular than Bourbon Street but I'm told this is where the really awesome jazz is played. 

I have been trying all the local delacies (I am a huge lover of Cajun and Creole food) and have not been disappointed. Last night I had a New Orleans speciality called a Po Boy (short for Poor Boy). In a country that has so many different sandwich varieties this is the one that they are known for. The one I had was catfish however they are traditionally roast beef. I also had a spectacular Pasta Jambalaya at the Crescent City Brewhouse, the flavour sensation blew my mind. When the waiter asked me if I'd like tobasco with it I declined. My belief being that except in a few rare occasions tobasco is used to hide something instead of enhance it. I'm so pleased I did pass it up. My taste buds are still alive from the experience. 

One of the other unique things about New Orleans is that they encourage public consumption of alcohol. Yes thats right, when you leave a bar or restaurant you can take your booze with you. The only rule is that it can't be in glass. Every bar has a plastic glasses at the door so when you're ready to move on but you want to take your drink you just pour in into the plastic and wander on out with it. They are called Geaux (Go) Cups. I wonder what that looks like at 3.30am in the morning. I'll tell you tomorrow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment