Saturday 3 October 2015

Charleston

Savannah is a fascinating place thoroughly in tune with its history. The local paper this morning is talking about pulling revolutionary war canons from the river. It still has a stretch of grass where for many years it was legal to duel, conveniently located next to a cemetery I might add. So it is with a little sadness that I leave. If I lived here I would just immerse myself in my surrounds, the history and soak it all in. I am pushing on to Charleston which is another historical city in South Carolina. To be honest it wasn't really on the radar but everyone keeps telling me to miss Atlanta and do Charleston instead. Who am I to argue?




Did I mention its hurricane season down here? Apparently the official start is June 1 and it ends on November 30, peaking in late August and all of September. So its excitement aplenty because guess what? We have a hurricane. Hurricane Joaquin is currently battering the Bahamas. I am sure I met some people in Cape Canaveral at the breakfast brawl who assumed they would be cruising there right now. I hope they have vomit bags in commercial quantities because that's one cruise I don't want to be on.

It seems to be the real deal. I was drinking with some people last night who were planning to go to Maryland to compete in a triathlon that has been cancelled and since reinstated, people travelled from Australia to take part. I'm sure they won't be happy. After my one and oly night inCharleston, South Carolina and this is the quote about the hurricane in the local newspaper. 

                    "The range and possible outcomes is still large and includes the possibility of a major hurricane landfall in the Carolinas"

Now this is Category 4 storm which I'm assured is pretty serious. The weather has been crappy all day and it stuffed my plans to visit a cotton plantation and likely tomorrow's plans to go to Colonial Williamsburg. I can only do so much, but anyway. 

Let me tell you about Charleston. Its recently famous for a church shooting that occurred in June of this year in which nine people were killed. As I'm looking up the details for that I note that there has been a shooting at a community college in Oregon, ten dead this time. They just cant get enough of their guns it seems. The church where it all went down has quite a history. One of its founding members was accused a planning a slave uprising so he along with another 35 people were hanged and the church was burnt to the ground. 

It is a very pretty city with lots of stunning architecture. The building below inspired George Washington when having the White House built.


There is still an original Slave Auction house that has been turned into a museum.


There is also some stunning waterfront homes, many of which remain with the original families. However if one comes on the market you could pick it up for about $10,000,000.00 U.S. And because we are in the south there are a multitude of gorgeous churches including a circular one in the shape of a Celtic cross, all very Dan Brown and the Da Vinci Code.





All in all a very pleasant little town. I lucked it and got to stay a spectacular place right in downtown called the King Charles Inn that was truly delightful. 

I think today was hump day for the holiday so its all downhill from here. I am making no plans until I see the weather for myself tomorrow. I tell you it is a little freaky when they cut in to your radio show with a klaxon and then issue a flash flood warning for the area you are in. I think I will probably end up in Washington DC which is about 8 and a half hours away. I am pretty sure even if we get a full hurricane that the Smithsonian and all the other impressive stuff will still be open. Fingers crossed. 

Oh and by way of a coda yes they did execute that woman in Georgia. Some guy in Oklahoma has been given reprieve until November 6 because they need to check the quality of the medication they are killing him with. Another guy just got a temporary reprieve in Virginia for the same reason with another three lined up to follow in Missouri, Texas and Oklahoma. Welcome to the Unites States, were everybody's dying to get out!

No comments:

Post a Comment