Sunday 25 October 2015

The Metroplitan Museum of Art

I was feeling a little melancholy, being my last day in New York and the States for that matter. I was dwelling on the long flight home and didn't think much could lift my spirits. More out of due diligence than any real desire to go I attended the Metropolitan Museum of Art or The Met as it is known in these parts. It was massive. I got the Subway to 86th Street and wandered across, arriving at about 10.30am. Stopping for lunch at a quite second rate restaurant in the museum itself I left at 4.30pm and still didn't see it all.





Having said all of that I don't think I have seen so many famous paintings, sculptures and artists all in one place. There is also a massive display of Egyptian antiquities. When I say massive that's exactly what I mean. In two cases they have bought the entire tomb back and in lesser examples just the entire wall. There were over two dozen mummies out on show along with statues, jewellery, pottery and various other items of interest. I am not sure how I feel about the cultural rape that must have taken place to obtain these works but they were impressive none the same.





Of course being American it had an impressive display of weapons and armour from throughout history. I pretty well swanned past all that.

The thing that actually got me excited was its display of rare and unusual musical instruments. It had a complete collection of all the brass and saxophone models designed and built by Adolphe Sax. The saxophone in the photo below doesn't do it justice. It is taller than me and would create a mighty sound. There was a two keyboard Bosendorfer piano along with a range of other curios including a valved trombone.





There was so much more to see. I took in the old masters, the impressionists, some amazing sculptures and lots lots more.

I didn't end up doing Gershwin's An American in Paris as I was a little exhausted from walking around the Met. I went back to the Hotel and got one last dinner recommendation from John the concierge, who hasn't put a foot wrong with his tips. He had me spend Friday night bar hoping midtown New York. I was a good boy and home in bed by midnight. I assume I'll need some sleep before I fly home then train it Muswellbrook.

I have a few hours to kill before my flight so I will stow my bags at the hotel and go and see the Saturday Night Live Exhibition seven blocks up. Then it will be time for a cab ride to JFK, Qantas and the sweet strains of Peter Allen singing I still Call Australia Home as we land at Kingsford Smith. The weather looks bleak and the forecast is for thunderstorms. It may be symbolic of my mood. I'll see many of you soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment