Tuesday 13 October 2015

Vermont

Apparently my kind have a name. We are called Leaf Peepers. I am not sure if its sounds a little risque or just plain perverted. We are the people who come to the New England Region in the fall (autumn) and look at the changing colours of the leaves. I spent the night in a place called White River Junction having peeped many leaves by that time. I noticed a restaurant on the corner called "Tuckerbox". I had to check it out. It turned out to serve Turkish food, and very good Turkish food at that. The lavash, the baba ghanoush, the baklava (made with maple syrup instead of honey) were all excellent. 


The next morning I arose having sat next to an environmental lawyer from Connecticut at the bar in the restaurant the previous evening. She gave me a few excellent tips on what I should see. First and foremost was go check out Woodstock, which was about 16 miles away. I had driven through it the previous day but the rain didn't do it any favours. Check out these photos.




It has covered bridges which are impossibly quaint.



To get there you have to pass through a place called Quechee Gorge which was just us ugly as everything else around here.



So after that I took my leaf peeping backside to Hampton Beach for lunch. It was essentially closing down for the season so if you were looking to get cheap souvenirs or trinkets it was great. If you wanted to find a nice cafe to sit in while you stared out at the ocean it was not so good.

On the way I passed through or by Lebanon, Montcalm, Grantham, New London, Chichester, Epsom, Northwood, Portsmouth, York and of course Hampton Beach. You might be starting to see they were missing the old country when they named these towns.

Its off to Boston tomorrow. I have to decide if I am going to have one last leaf peep and do a circuit around the Kancamangus Highway or head to Salem and check out the witch stuff. Because I dropped Chicago and Detroit early from the itinerary and because Hurricane Joaquim dropped the cotton plantation and Colonial Williamsburg from the list of places being graced with my presence I need to decide if I want to potter around the New England region for three or four more days or maybe do a rat run to Philadelphia. I'll make that decision when I'm in Boston. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment