Friday 9 October 2015

Niagara Falls

It was kind of weird to wake up in a place that you don't know the name of. I programmed the GPS for the hotel I had booked in Buffalo. It told me it would take me exactly four hours to get there. As I had stayed in the middle of bum f**k nowhere it didn't come with breakfast so that was left to me. It turns out I was at Shamokin Dam. I headed off and in very short time I was sent on the back roads of Pennsylvania. The countryside was absolutely stunning. It was all red barns with white trim. The houses where all white weather board, trimmed hedges, shutters in heritage colours and shingled roofs. Sadly I didn't see any covered bridges but I am sure they were not far away.

I have been trying to steer away from the American chain restaurants that we have at home. Therefore no MacDonalds, no Subway, no Burger King etc. I have failed on a couple of occasions but that's another story.  So I have been slowly working my ways through the chains that aren't in Australia. So far its been TGIF, Five Guys and today it was Arby's. Even though I was not really wanting it I had a burger for breakfast and lunch. At this point I have a confession to make. I think I am starting to accept American coffee. Arbys had a coffee thing as part of their meal deal. It was bottomless. I had a second one.....to go. I will need treatment when I get home. I think maybe one of those IV drips with just pure caffeine for about a week. 

So with that as my sustenance I pushed on to Buffalo. I had originally planned to go and check out a Frank Lloyd Wright home that is considered one of his very best. Sadly it was shut on Tuesday. Who knew it was Tuesday? I decided I would go check out Niagara Falls before checking in to the hotel. I'm so pleased I did. It was absolutely spectacular. 





As you can see I rode the Maid of the Mist. It is a boat ride that takes you right up under the mist of both the American Falls and the Horseshoe Falls. It was not raining but I can assure you that you will be absolutely soaked and the poncho I am rocking is an absolute necessity if you want to stay dry.


No comments:

Post a Comment