Sunday 18 October 2015

Providence

I have been singing "The Last Resort" all day just because I am staying in Providence, Rhode Island. Those of you who are fans of the Eagles will get it. But before I arrived in Providence I thought I would check out Newport. Many of you who are old enough will remember back in 1983 when Alan Bond, before he was a controversial businessman, won the America's Cup on his fourth attempt. His first attempt was back in 1974. I was still at boarding school when he finally won. I clearly remember breaking into the science labs to steal a TV set so we could watch in our dormitory. The fact that we got away with it and had teachers sitting there watching with us was testimony to how big a deal it was at the time.


I distinctly remember our prime minister who had supposedly sworn off the drink so he could run for office, wearing a ridiculous jacket and showing signs of inebriation declaring that "any boss who sacks a worker for not turning up today is a bum". It made me proud to be an Aussie.

So I wandered down America's Cup Avenue. Newport is a gorgeous little town. There is a massive array of colonial era homes and of course there are the infamous mansions. You can do a thing called the cliff walk where you essentially wander along the top of the cliff looking into the front yards of people who have waterfront properties. The ocean view isn't half bad either. 

These originally began to be constructed in the 1840's but they really took off at the turn of last century when the Astor's and the Vanderbilt's constructed "cottages" here for their brief but elaborate summer season. 





The Kennedy's were married here where Jackie grew up and it became the summer white house during JFK's Presidency as he spent his vacation time here. I can't seem to get away from the guy. 

I was having such a nice time snooping around Newport that it was 5.00pm by the time I got the Providence. I don't think I'll get to see much. I only have the car for all of tomorrow and she goes back to Hertz the following day. I have had my suitcase open in the trunk (boot) for the past five weeks so now I have the figure out a way to bundle up all the things I have bought and get them to the Hotel in New York. Tomorrow will be spent doing laundry and packing me thinks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment