Thursday 26 April 2012

Day 4 / 5 - Maitland

Well arrived in Maitland after sorting out my Telstra problems. My phone would not let me tether it to my laptop for internet access. My god imagine living in a a disconnected world. Found a guru at the store who had it working in a matter of minutes. Whoever said teenage boys spend too much time in front of their computers got that wrong. 


Rod & Coral

So Rod and Coral, what an interesting and entertaining couple. Rod is retired Anglican Minister (who actually married me) and Coral used to be the church organist at Merriwa when Mum and Dad had lived there. They both share my passion for music in particular Tom Lehrer (an American satirist who released a number of tremendous albums and became quite notorious for his song "The Vatican Rag").



Now Rod is quite the raconteur and shared a number of funny stories with me. His first from his time in the army when he was a lowly private and put in charge of the Battalion mascot - a dog. Well the mascot was a Sergeant and was giving Rod some grief so he kicked it in the ribs. Sadly this was witnessed by a turn coat who had Rod court martialed for hurting a superior. They must have loved that dog. 

In another he told the story of his recent trip to Ireland where someone has asked him, on visiting a religious relic, how they made holy water in Australia. To which he replied (and he assures me this is an old joke) "well you take ordinary tap water and boil the hell out of it"     .

Anyway went to the local pub for dinner and drank some red wine (no doubt you will be in shock about that) but Coral had a treat for me the next day. She had organised an hour on the pipe organ at the local Anglican Church, St Peters Maitland

St Peters Anglican Church Maitland

Well I have always fancied myself a bit of an organist but there is nothing quite like belting out a big number on a beast of a pipe organ. 

Coral and the Organ

The last time I had a chance to play one of these was in Muswellbrook last year, but it wasn't a patch on this machine This "small" organ was built by the Willis Family who has had a hand in many famous pipe organs of more epic proportions found all over the United Kingdom. 

Thank you Coral for arranging this for me, next time I promise I will bring some suitable music and maybe even do a little practice. I would also like to thank the local priest Michael Davies and his lead organist (K)Cath (?) for allowing this interloper to make some beautiful noise on what is no doubt their pride and joy.  

Well its off to Sydney next to visit with my God Mother (my goodness this has taken a quite religious turn). Going to stop off for lunch at the Greengate Hotel in Killara. Its a stunning old pub that was built during World War 2 with some very interesting (read -  whatever they could scavenge at the time) materials. The meals and the coffee are excellent as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment