Saturday 28 April 2012

Healthy Weight Part 2

Now I know I mentioned, in another post, what a porker I had become (148 kilos to be precise), but things have been looking up (or should I say down?) since then. Let me tell you a little about it.

When attending my Doctor for what ever reason late last year he, as is his want, checked my blood pressure and put me on some medication. I mean me .... on blood pressure tablets? .... I had become a pill popper. Now I don't even own a set of scales and it was then that he weighed me and told me the larger than life news about my weight. Big numbers don't usually frighten me, I mean you hear about the deficit on the news all the time and you must remember I had been married with a wife who used my credit card like Whitney Houston used cocaine. I had seen big scary numbers before.

But as "I raged against the dying of my youth" (to bastardize Dylan Thomas) I was not going to take this weight gain and pill popping lying down (even though lying down was probably part of the problem).

When I finished my research I started a diet in the second week of December 2011. Now starting a diet 2 weeks before Christmas may not seem like a smart thing to do, but I had made up my mind and if I didn't do it then I may have never got around to it. It was now or never. So here's what I did and here's what I learnt along the way. 

Firstly, I didn't set myself any crazy expectations. I said in my mind that I needed to commit to this and give myself a reasonable amount of time to achieve a meaningful outcome. I wanted to get below 105 kilos (about 230 pounds) and I gave myself 2 years to do it.

The Olsen Twins - And No I Don't Know Which One Is Which






Note: While shedding almost 45 kilos is a lot of weight (think of it like losing an Olsen twin. I thought that was unit of measurement we could all relate to). It was important not to do it to quickly or in a way that wasn't sustainable. 










Secondly, and this may sound crazy, I didn't buy any scales. The way I measured myself was not by how heavy I was but how many extra buckle holes I had to make on my belt.

Thirdly, I knew there would be break out days, I just had to manage them in way to minimise their impact.

Fourthly, I knew that some exercise would be involved.


1 comment:

  1. Scoot, Comedy Gold in the first paragraphy, i also enjoyed the Whitney Housten and Olsen twin references, something my little young brain can get my head around YAY! i hope you are having a fabulous time. Love Claire

    ReplyDelete